You are here: HomeHYPPHYPP Attack Video

HYPP Attack Video

Below is the information provided by the mare's owner. If you have trouble viewing the video on a dial-up connection, you have permission from the mare owner to right click on the video and save it on your computer. DSL viewers should not have any problems with it. The actual footage had to be edited from an hour down to 1 minute in order to be able to upload this file.

It was extremely hard for the owner to watch the tape over and over, in order to edit it, so that those who have never seen a horse during an episode, may understand better what some positive horses go through, and understand the importance of stopping people from breeding this disease into more horses. We thank her for donating the video and her story.

Mare... was foaled in 1997 was donated to a university fall of '97, current owner purchased her Feb of '03, was very underweight (all ribs showing w/ ridgy spine) and not on Mare bred spring of '03 (foal due April 4, '04).

No attacks or signs for first several months, diet of oats and free choice coastal. I thought I'd bought a possible,  "non-symptomatic". By this time (summer of '03) I was convinced of it.

As weight increased (6 ribs showing), breathy sounds started so giving 500 mgs of aceta, once a day. As weight increased (no ribs showing) so did the number of attacks (labored breathing, clenched jaw, drooling, hindered ability to swallow , full body muscle jerking). Karo stopped these symptoms in 20 to 30 minutes.

Increased aceta dosage to 750 mgs/twice a day. The vet prescribed to start with 1250 mgs/day but to adjust higher if needed. Added beet pulp to diet. One month prior to foaling, on advice, started adding white salt to feedings and increased aceta dosage to 1000mgs twice per day (bid). Was also advised that hypp positive mares are more likely to have hypp trouble closer to term. Uneventful foaling.

Day one post foaling, impacted foal so mare and foal spent two days at the vet's with much stress. No hypp signs. Five days post foaling, morning feed, mare is found having a first (known to this owner) major hypp attack (stiffened, tense body and leg muscles, inability to rise; some breath sounds). Mare's legs were straight out, stiff, no bend. Mare's head, neck and tail appeared much less affected. Foal obviously hungry, foal's attempts (pawing, walking on her) to get the mare up resulted in her thrashing and injurious attempts to rise.

Mare was given a pint of Karo then water along with 1000 mgs of aceta . Mare was beginning to be dehydrated. No colic signs (heave line). After 30 minutes, the Karo allowed the mare to rise to her sternum once but then went prostrate again. Vet was swamped so sent a techie. Vet tech was continually in mobile phone contact with the vet. Mare kept thrashing so a tranq was given then an IV of meds (given slowly over 20 minutes time). Vet was concerned about the dehydration so pharmacies were contacted, looking for solution (name?). None to be found.

Mare got up after 20 or more minutes, was hand walked and eventually drank much water. This allowed her milk to come so foal was able to get full and less anxious. Mare had a scraped ankle, bruised and scraped eye brows, a massive swelling (bruise?) between her front legs and a hind leg coronary injury. There didn't appear to be muscle stiffness or pain once the attack was over except from the injuries acquired from her failed attempts to get up. One or two weeks after this, mare exhibited a milder attack (muscle jerking, labored breath sounds). Karo stopped the symptoms after 30 to 40 minutes. Only hypp sign since then has been an occasional different sound to her feed time greeting. Mare's diet is oats, beet pulp, free choice coastal (she always eats very little of the coastal). She gets 1000 mgs of aceta twice per day. Mare is left unbred.

Video Information Update on mare, July 4, 2004. Mare had another major attack since then. I found her already up, but she was torn up and a mess, still was drooling and breathing sounds. She banged her knees and ankles on the round cement water trough repeatedly. I found blood smears on it. I think her knees will scar. Knees do scar easily. We have neighbors all around us. Mostly young Army folks that spend lots of money on fireworks. I have Mare primed to NOT have any troubles over the holiday. I temporarily increased her meds a tiny bit, July 1st she got 2 ccs of Prolixin and this evening I gave her 90ccs of Karo. I'll do the same for tomorrow evening. I hope this works out well.

***Due to some negative comments on this video clip, we would like to note that the attack was seen occurring via a wireless monitor. A handheld cam was set down in the barn to record, sometimes being picked up between times of helping her. There was a lot of the 60 minute video edited out, mostly of her being tended to, comforted and lengthy times of her laying with rigor. Owner was not able to remove the foal from the stall until the vet arrived to help. The mare was thrashing and banging her head against the wall in repeated attempts to rise and fighting against the paralysis in her limbs. The vet and owner had to tranquilize the mare to get IV fluids in her after removing the foal from the stall. Taking her foal away caused her more distress, and made her thrash even harder to get up to find her foal. The foal did not sustain any injuries during the episode.***

Joomla Templates: by JoomlaShack